Friday, November 11, 2005

Lest We Forget....


With it now officially being Remeberance Day or Veterans Day for our U.S. friends, I would like to take some time to remember in my own way. Now, I was not yet born during or at the end of the WW II, but I can still give thanks for the sacrifices that many made to secure our current freedoms most of us take for granted.

My late grandfather Archibald Monk fought in the war and is sadly missed by myself and the rest of my family. Thankfully he was lucky enough to make it through his tours of duty but many did not. So on this 11th day of the 11th month at the 11th hour I will think of him and his fallen brothers at arms and honour them as they should be remembered for what they gave in order for us to have.

This question arises though. Will we still remember once all the old veterans are gone? As time goes by the whole generation that was present for the days of the major world wars are thinning with each passing year. Eventually there is going to be a news story one day of how the last surviving member of our aging WW II veterans has passed and where will that leave us? How will that make people feel, how will it effect you? I know most people honestly don't care and try and avoid the "old man in the uniform" at the Wal-Mart entrance who's taking donations for a Poppy at all costs. It is truly sad to say the least, almost infuriating come to think of it. I mean sure, we all have our own personal problems and issues to deal with but what if Hitler's regime had managed to somehow prevail and conquer the entire continent. Would we all still be sitting here on our personal computers, leisurely drinking coffee, wondering if we should rent or buy that current DVD as we jump into our hulking SUV to drive to the store which is only 4 blocks away. I somehow don't think so, I think our world would have been a very different place. We all, as a society, take a lot for granted.

All in all, I will always take the time to remember and will most definitely pass down the knowledge to my children if I am ever to have some.
I will remember.

OK...I'll shuddup now.

Cheers.

No comments: