Saturday, January 28, 2006

A Night With Tom Green.......


Well, I've eventually gotten over not being selected as a finalist for the Moderately Paid Employee Contest Edge 107.1. I have to admit the finalists they did select were pretty lame and I've since boycotted listening to the station all together. Perhaps it's a bit harsh, but then so is listening to the same 20 songs all day every day.
I wasn't surprised either that Dean Blundell and his band of Tools snubbed Tom Green when he came back to town. They were sweet as pie when Tom was promoting their uberlame CASBY Awards for them and even played a few tracks off of his new disc when they had him on-air back in November. However now, ever since, I've never heard another Tom Green track and not even a hint or mention of his tours grand finale in Toronto that took place on Friday January 27th at the Opera House.
Now, I was also supposed to go to the Call The Office gig in London, Ontario as well the night before on the 26th , but to many of my hometown friends disappointment I was unable to attend. I'll still be in London on March 6th & 7th for Nine Inch Nails at the John Labbatt Center....I promise.
Anyway, I've been to a lot of concerts in my time and I have to say this was by far one of the best shows I've witnessed. There was no opening act and the crowd got a tad restless in the hr and 15 mins we stood at the edge of the stage but once the show got started Tom rocked the mic like any rap superstar should. Not really being into rap and the numberous young kids standing around me and my girlfriend pretending to "pop caps" into each others heads I thought I might be in the wrong place. We started out the night meeting another TOMGREEN.COM blogger who recgonized my shirt from a pic of it being posted on Tom's website. It was pretty cool to meet someone who appreciated the man behind the mic for more than just him humping a dead moose or banging Drew Barrymore. The funny thing was here we were 2 guys in our 30's and I'm making t-shirts and he's making signs just to go to a "rap show". My girlfriend Stephanie and I both purchased some disposable cameras and both of us used every one of the pics available. They are still being developed but I will be sure to post the best ones once they are ready. So, anyway like I was saying this show was one of the best I've ever been to. Lots of energy, lots of laughs and lots of fun. We ended up coming away with a lot of cool items which are all in the pic above. The most notable of them all is the robot costume worn by one of Tom's stage mates "Playboy" Jeremy Klein. He come up and smashed it over my head after finishing the track the costume was meant for. I ended up spending a good amount of time in the costume because for one, I only had one arm hole and two, it was saving my back from being covered in beer from the guy behind me. We also got our hands on a toy sword that the Toronto Police found interesting while we were walking back to the car, they did a double take but didn't actually turn around. We also got a silly felt Canada hat, we would have had an actual "Keepin It Real Crew" shirt but the animals surrounding us in the front ripped'em right out of our hands before we could secure them. It was pretty crazy right up in the front. I also ended up getting Tom's shoeprint on my shoulder from all the crowd surfing he was doing but it is hard to make out in the pic. It was an all around great night.
One other cool note is the fact that they were filming for their documentary DVD, I can almost guarantee Boo and I will be in it. I'll look forward to getting my pics back and posted ASAP.
OK......I'll shuddup now.
Cheers.

1 comment:

Johnny Wadd said...

Dude that's awesome!