Thursday, December 01, 2005

And Now....On With Mr.Show....


An now for some comments on one of my all time favorite shows...Mr.Show.
This short lived skit comedy masterpiece aired originally on HBO and then on The Comedy Network up here in Canada, between 1996 and 2000. I immediately fell in love with this show the first time I came across an episode that included a satirical American Ad Awards show, the big winner of the top prize was an ad agency that helped an association better it's image with a great commercial. The association was called NAMBLA...the North American Man Boy Love Association, the new slogan .... "We're Not Killers". The commercial itself had various perverts running around a park with big black boxes over their faces confessing their love of young man boys and how society just doesn't "get" their obsession. It was an edgy, intelligent and nonsensical show to say the least. Within the same episode they also had a hilarious remake of Jesus Christ Superstar that starred Jack Black in the heavenly lead role.
Perhaps my sense of humor is warped and I have no idea what I am talking about but Mr. Show was way ahead of it's time and far too smart for it's own good. I try to introduce Mr. Show to anyone who will take the time to watch but honestly in all my time I have only met maybe 2 people that understood the satire and appreciated it. I own all 4 seasons and urge any and everyone to either rent a season or download an episode for a test run.
You might recognize David Cross from Arrested Development, another freakin hilarious show, or even as the guy in the wheelchair in Scary Movie 2. He is a fantastic comic.
Bob Odenkirk has had stints on SNL and was also on the ultra 80's Ben Stiller Show. He is another comical genius. I'll elaborate another time on both of these fine gentlemen, but for now....

OK....I'll shuddup now.

Cheers.

No comments: